Village Elementary School
WEST WINDSOR - PLAINSBORO REGIONAL SCHOOL DISTRICTWest Windsor, New Jersey
This building, which is expected to receive LEED Silver certification, was completed in July of 2015. The 37,000 SF building addition provides a combination of community use and academic spaces. The addition incorporates many energy efficient features with the ultimate goal to achieve LEED Silver Certification. The addition will also utilize numerous state-of-the-art design, technology, security and mechanical system features.The BOE Administration scheduled several meetings to meet with community members and FVHD to study the existing functional capacities of all schools in the District. The intent was to provide additional classroom space, administrative offices, and a community gathering space. The pre-design phase of data collection occurred over a year’s time. The District wished to consolidate all administrative services including transportation and facilities and provide a community use aspect to the addition in the form of a multi-purpose meeting room. The Village Elementary School site was chosen for its minimal construction impact and the ability to provide additional classrooms to the building with minimal impact on core facilities.
Lastly, additional vehicular access was provided separate from the school entrance, separating administration and registration from cars and buses for the school. This project was on time and within budget for completion in July of 2015.
HIGHLIGHTED SUSTAINABLE FEATURES:
- Solar Shading & Light Shelves
- Joint Use Facility for Students & Community
- Solar “Fins” to Control Sun at East Elevation
- Daylighting/Views at all Office & Learning Areas
- Geothermal Well Field (GSHP)
- Maximize Open Space & Protect Habitat
- Optimal Roof Orientation for Future PV Array
- Solar Shading/Harvesting at Learning Areas
- Storm-water Management Retention Basin
- High Performance Building Envelope Design